Engine type

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine type

Post by robbertja on February 8th 2015, 11:22

Hey everybody,

I had a question about the engine used. In the plans a rotax engine is advised.
Since this is very expensive I would like to an other type of engine.

In the choppy copter, which is basically the same, an motorcycle engine was used. I also have the old "choppy plans" which says an outboard engine would do fine to? I assume 50 hp is necessary because the rotax has this amount to. The disadvantage of a motorcycle engine would be that the axis is horizontal. just turning the engine 90 deg would not work because of oil problems, and the carb's. A 90 deg gearbox would then be necessary. An outboard engine needs to be water cooled which is also more difficult. Are there any other builders who used an different engine? Which would you advice?

robbertja

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine type

Post by Jeffrey White on February 11th 2015, 17:05

If you are going to try and get your 95 to meet the ultralight weight requirements,   I think you will have to use an expensive engine.   The problem is the power vs the weight   and how much lift there will be.  

I will have to go with something with more HP than the 503  engine or I may never get off the ground   (I am too heavy and the 503  would be maxing out)

I have not looked at all the options  (as I am just beginning my project also)  But I was thinking of looking into the engine that they use on the mosquito which is 60  HP and they are making the overall weight requirements for an ultralight)   They are using a Compact Radial Engines MZ202.    The extra 10 HP would allow maybe an extra 150 lb of payload.      (but I bet this is also a pretty expensive engine)

I would also bet that the less expensive engines weigh more. So you would probably have to increase the HP to compensate for the additional weight.

Jeffrey White
Seeker NP1
Seeker NP1

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine type

Post by robbertja on February 13th 2015, 09:43

I am not particularly interested in the ultralight weight requirements, since I live in The Netherlands it will probably be illegal any way...

In the old choppy plans it is stated that a 650cc motorcycle engine should do the job. I don't know how much payload man could lift with this. I am also a bit heavier than average (85 kg).

I could then just use a 60 HP motorcycle engine. Are there people who did this? or used an other engine?

robbertja

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top